Monday 17 November 2014

The Politics of Sex and The City



I have decided to do something slightly different this time round and therefore, chose a modern classic Television show. It is undeniable that Carrie Bradshaw's avant-garde sartorial choices will perpetually stay iconic and influential in New York's street style culture. As much as I loved the series and sometimes find myself binge-watching an entire season of the show in one sitting especially after a long day (guilty), I must say that the storyline gets rather predictable. It also overly romanticizes New York and its function for single people trying to find love, in addition to perpetuating the materialistic stereotype of women and the fashion industry in general. I believe that the high fashion industry, despite its cutting-edge and consumerist nature, still contains a valuable artistic substance that vastly influences old and modern cultures. It also bothered me how overly dramatic some of Carrie's mid-episode narrations were, sometimes even coming across as corny.

Having said that, Carrie's successes in such a nail-cutting city does give me a sense of empowerment. Her character has taught me that one must believe in one's self and endure even the lowest of times in order to be successful and to never lose sight of your dreams. Additionally, Kim Cattral's portrayal of Samantha Jones is wonderfully hilarious, and also serves as an empowerment tool as she is the perfect embodiment of self-confidence and of being comfortable in your own skin. I loved the diversity of the show's characters - from the scandalous Samantha to up-tight Miranda to sweet Charlotte. I believe that this diversity is what allowed women and even men every where to connect with the show, thus leading to the show's great success.

As much as I loved following the TV series, the movie itself fell short in my opinion. As we see the progression of Carrie's relationship with Big, it was almost frustrating to see it crumble. It was also not the perfect series finale I was hoping for. Although I was left a little bit disappointed with how the series concludes, I did love how each of the main women were able to capture the essence of their characters in the movie. The movie was also beautifully shot - from the wardrobe to beautiful settings chosen for each scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment